Thursday, December 2, 2010

Internet Information Services (I.I.S)

It is a web server from Microsoft used for administering, managing, controlling websites.

I.I.S. is the server component which provides services like www, http, ftp, nntp, SMTP, FrontPage, .net frame works
WWW(World Wide Web): enables use of internet.HTTP(Hiper text transfer Protocol): Supports file types like text, audio &videoGopher: used prior to http supported only text.FTP: (File Transfer Protocol): used for uploading or downloading, huge size files.NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol): Used for publishing the same message for a group of people.
SMTP (Simple mail transfer protocol): Used by exchange server for sending mails.
Front page: It is a designing tool for WebPages
Win – NT 4.0 had I.I.S. version 2, 3 and 4.
Win 2000 I.I.S. version is 5.0
Win 2003 - 6.0

Port number details are available at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

Port: port is a communication channel through which services of one system communicate with the services of other system each service has one port number allotted
Features of I.I.S. (6.0) :

22 Fully secured
23 Reliability
24 Salability
25 Manageability
26 Isolation of users.
27 Backup of websites
Requirements: 

DC or member server
Static IP
NTFS partition
Web pages
DNS and Zones with concerned records.
Installing I.I.S.: 

On DC or member server
From Control Panel
Add/rem programs
Add/rem windows components
Select application server
Click on details
Select I.I.S.
Details
Select F.T.P. & www. Services
Ok – next
Requirements of a website:

Web content or web pages
Zones with host records
Public IP
Creation of a Website: 

(Create the zones in DNS with a host records)
Start - p – admin tools – I.I.S. right click on websites – new - website – description ( site name, ex: yahoo)
Select the I.P> (system’s IP)
Specify the host header as www. Sitename.com ex: www.yahoo.com
Browse the WebPages folder
Next
Check the box ‘browse’
Next – finish
Adding the web content: 

Right click on the .htm file name concerned
Rename – select copy – right click on the website we’ve created >properties – documents – add - paste – ok – move up the htm we’ve copied. – Apply – ok.
Verification: 
Open internet explorer
Type the website you’ve created
Virtual Directory: These are useful for creating child websites or links
Ex: mail servers, chat servers, advertisement servers etc…
Creation of Child websites: 

Right click on the parent website we’ve created
New – virtual directory – next – child name - ex: mail- chat etc..
Browse WebPages folder
Check the box browse - next – finish.
Adding Web Contents :

Select .htm file
Right click – rename
Copy – select child website – properties – documents – add – paste – ok
Move up – apply – ok
Verification: 


Open Internet Explorer and type website name.”www.yahoo.com\chat
Redirecting a website: 
Redirection is useful in various cases. 
Case1: renaming of the website where users are unaware of the change.
Case2: when the website is under construction
Case3: when the website hosting server is unavailable, we go for redirection
Implementing redirection or configuring redirection: 

Create 2 websites
Select web content create 2 websites
Select web content
Create 2 zones with host records corresponding
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website we want to redirect
Properties - home directory – select a redirection to url
Ex: http://www.Sitename.com apply – ok
Verification: 
Open I.E. type the 1st website name
It should open second website
Document footer: 

Useful for publishing advertisements in a particular websites and seen as a footer for the website
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website
Properties
Documents
Check the box enable documents footer
Browse webpages folder
Select any .htm file
Apply – ok
Backup of website: 

It is a new feature in 2003. We can backup and restore websites.
Open I.I.S.
Right click on the website we want to back up
All tasks-Save configuration to a file
Give filename & select the browse
File where we want to save – ok
Verification:
Delete the website you’ve backed up
Restoring a website: 

Open I.I.S.
Right click on the websites
Select website from file
Browse the backup file we have saved
Click on read file
Select the site name – ok

1 comment:

  1. it was very useful,,,,and i wish to say thanks to everyone who worked behind this ....

    ReplyDelete